Saturday, April 28, 2012

Puttering

“Puttering is really a time to be alone, to dream and to get in touch with yourself … To putter is to discover.”

                                    Alexandra Stoddard

 

I like to putter. It connects me to my past, the present, and the future. I reminisce; I admire a lovely vase; I realize items I need or want for my home. Puttering is best in one’s own house, shed, garage, yard. It reminds me of my preferences, things I enjoy having around me. Unlike sorting, puttering has no clear-cut purpose. Perusing the contents of a drawer suggests new ways to use something or that something forgotten but desirable still exists. It makes known again all the “richness” in my life, even the mundane things like birthday candles or key rings.

Most people don’t putter enough. They are poorer for missing out on how full and good life is.

No comments:

Post a Comment