Thursday, January 26, 2023

White, White Birthday

 We got about 6 inches of heavy wet snow yesterday. Today a fine light snow has fallen a few times.


Today is my birthday. My twin sister and I were born about 6 weeks premature. While an earlier birthday didn't mean harsh winter weather in Southern California, waiting until March would have made a big difference in Indiana. The certificate with my inked footprints and an embossed seal (which nobody accepts as legal, I had to get a different kind from the county when I wanted to marry) stated I was born on a Thursday. "Thursday's child has far to go." I have seen interpretations that the Thursday child will go far, be a success. Or that such a child will have a long life. To me, it means having a long laborious journey. Thursday's child will not have an easy time travelling through this world. After all, it rhymes with Wednesday's child of woe. 

When we were at Costco a month or so ago, I bought some filet mignon and froze it. Tonight I will broil that beef and serve with Bearnaise sauce.


I will saute a vegetable mix from Trader Joe's and microwave some left-over wild rice.


For dessert there must be chocolate. The cake is thawing in the refrigerator to be ready to eat with ice cream tonight.


Speaking of Trader Joe's, we bought some grapefruit for my husband. These are gigantic. He usually only eats half at a time.


One of the problems with such short notice for surgery is that I have some things I need to eat up before my diet restrictions start. Spaghetti sauce (half a jar in the fridge), nuts, sausages. For 2-3 months I will not be able to eat the candy I received for Christmas. I don't think See's Toffee-ettes with the crunch and the nuts will last until I can eat them again. I am busily trying to finish them before February 2nd. I thought my surgery would be toward the second half of February. I didn't start on these right away because I had several boxes of Moose Munch to eat. The See's candy is too good to let grow stale. 


I sort of see this next week as a countdown time to eat what I will miss post-surgery. I even went thru the garage freezer looking for what might work post-op; I found the zucchini bread (with walnuts) I had frozen, and it is thawing on the kitchen counter. I know I have to take each day after February 1st day by day and not think too much about all those weeks of careful eating.


No comments:

Post a Comment