Monday, May 23, 2022

Finds

Last Friday we went to a church rummage sale. We bought a jigsaw puzzle for $1. After tomorrow choir will be done for the summer and I should have time to do puzzles.


This morning I went to an open house at one of the independent apartments. The family was offering items from their deceased mother's household. I picked up the knee highs and the little Amish figurines. This lady's husband pastored in Pennsylvania; she is now buried there next to her husband. I suspect the boy and girl were something she acquired while living in that state.

Her death is a sad tale. I knew her through Winona Literary Club and choir. On the morning that choir was singing in chapel I saw her limping in. I thought she must have sprained her ankle or hurt her foot. In hindsight I realize that she must have been in shock yet came to sing. The lady who stood next to her told me later that the injured lady did not sing, just mouthed the words because she found trying to sing was painful.

 She had tripped in her apartment and fell against a piece of furniture. I don't know if she called her son and he called an ambulance, but somehow she was transported to the hospital. The ankle was broken plus several ribs plus she had lacerated her spleen. It was later discovered that she had internal bleeding, and the doctors could only find the source with a risky surgery. She decided to go on hospice. She grew weaker and weaker; after about 10 days she died. She was 90 years old, but you would never know it from looking at her. She was well and strong and active in vocal choir and chime choir. Life circumstances can change in an instant. Treasure each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment