Saturday, November 2, 2019

2019 Operation Christmas Child

I didn't have success in finding some of the kinds of things I usually put in my Operation Christmas Child box for a 10-14 years old girl.
For example, Walmart had inexpensive bandanas in pretty prints and bright colors in the past. This year all I could find were camo prints, black traditional print, and Mickey Mouse designs. I think Hobby Lobby in Fort Wayne has a variety of bandanas, but I didn't get to that store, and there is no Hobby Lobby in Warsaw.


I ended up kind of heavy on purses/bags. The burgundy velvet one I bought at KMart which was going out of business in our area. I didn't see much that impressed me at the craft shows last weekend and today, but I did buy a little blue and yellow purse. I like to include something the recipient can share with others. In previous years that would be individually-wrapped candy. Candy is no longer allowed. This year I included a package of combs. The little bright "wedges" are clips with magnets on the back. I have never sent that sort of thing before. Maybe they can be shared with a friend or sibling.

It would be nice to know in what kind of climate the box will end up. Mittens and scarves work better for cold places.

 The lady in our church who heads up Operation Christmas Child has shared some stories, like the boy in an orphanage who loved his bar of Irish Spring soap in his Christmas box. The whole orphanage went to public baths once a month and shared one bar of soap. The older boys were last to take baths, and the sliver of soap wasn't much help. But rather than use his bar, he had a bigger boy store it for him and protect it. He would come and smell it when he wanted a bit of joy. Finally, the orphanage added showers to its facility. The boy and his friend who stored the soap asked the janitor to let them into the locked showers. At last, the gift was used as intended. But he only did it a few times before he was adopted and went to reside in the United States where he could have lots of soap. The soap was his symbol of hope. As long as he had the bar of soap, he could envision a brighter future. God answered his prayer. 

I will take my finished box to church tomorrow. God will get it to the right child. Have you finished your box?

No comments:

Post a Comment