Monday, January 7, 2019

Bookmarks

I have been working as a volunteer in the Grace Village Library almost 7 years now. From time to time, I find boxes of donated books left there. Usually, there is no note or name given and I have not been told these books were arriving, so I have no way to contact the donor. When I find a bookmark left in a book, I add it to a drawer with other bookmarks. I tried a few years ago to spread the bookmarks on the library table and invited the residents to help themselves, but even with an item in the weekly GV announcement sheet for two weeks, maybe 3 or 4 were taken. They vary in quality and design. I took some to the Winona Literary Club; not much interest from the members either.

This is my current assortment. But these are just the ones other people might like to use and worth saving. There have been many less desirable markers left in books: an emery board, toothpick, sheet of toilet paper, gum wrapper, slip of paper, greeting cards, grocery receipt, and even a medical EOB (which I was able to return). No money. LOL.

I own about a dozen bookmarks. I am not eager to increase my supply. I sort of understand why there was no interest in the freebies. I may go through my home supply and swap some of them for something I like in the drawer. Several of my bookmarks are souvenirs from trips; those I will probably keep. 

How many bookmarks do you own?

No comments:

Post a Comment