Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Spring Robins

The calendar says spring has arrived, and sure enough I saw 3 robins today. Well, maybe only 2 because the one I saw in the backyard may have been one of the two I saw earlier in the pear tree out front. The blustery wind has caused the loose dried out strands of the berm ornamental grasses to get caught in the netting I put over my crocus to keep the rabbit from eating them. Too cold to go out and clean them up.

I have some money from donations to buy books for the retirement library, but no space on the shelves. I spent some time Monday weeding the books. It is getting harder to find items suitable to discard. I don't necessarily remove books because they are old, but because when I flip them open I see how tiny and crowded the print is on the pages. I still have pretty good vision, but I wouldn't attempt to read these pages unless the book was compelling. The printing standards for spacing and margins have certainly changed in the last 50 years. 

I withdrew 18 fiction books; today I ordered from Better World Books 16 titles to fill series gaps. I am picky. The book has to be in very good condition and priced right. I know from past experience that searching over time instead of all at one time, one is likely to find some good deals. I am less picky of condition when buying at a library book sale where the price is 50 cents to a dollar. These Better World Books tend to be $4-$5; free shipping though.

One of the series I completed thru purchases earlier was The Irish Angel series by Jill Landis. When I shelved the new additions, I noticed book one was off the shelf. I wanted to read this series; the book didn't reappear until last week, maybe 4 months after it left the shelf.  I had a good read the past few days, all 3 books. This is a "new" author for me, but I will be on the look out for more of her books. 

This morning after returning from helping a neighbor download a PDF file onto her computer, I remarked to my husband that so many people never use the right button on the mouse which does allow one to do a Save As procedure. He looked at me and said, "You can do that, save a PDF file?" I showed him how; he wanted to email one as well. Two people in one day learning how to use right click. I should start a right click crusade in my neighborhood. Just kidding. I have told folks to hold down the control button and click on "p" to print when they seemed befuddled. At least these people do use a computer in their senior years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment