Saturday, July 30, 2016

Summer Thoughts

 

Today the heat and humidity have moderated a bit. The moss roses have loved our hot summer. And of course the weeds. Most annoying is that the grass has infiltrated my flower bed.

 

P7291436

P7291437

 

The cheddar pinks surprised me this past week with a few blooms. They hadn’t bloomed after the initial season before. My rose bush in the front yard has lots of buds coming on after a fallow time. I snipped one off this morning, 1 of the 2 in bloom, and put it in the bud vase from my mom.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

My sister has a friend interested in my mother’s crystal, but didn’t know how to price it. I did an ebay search and discovered the pattern is Cambridge Rose Point. I suggested a price range for the various pieces based on completed sales.

During the search I saw an advertisement from the late 1930s touting that brides needed this crystal to entertain properly in their new home. Here is a photo from ebay for the vase which maybe makes the pattern clearer than my photos.

s-l1600

 

There will be lots more roses in August. August! How did we almost get to August? I guess the opportunity to download Windows 10 for free for those using certain earlier versions ended yesterday. Monday some big update will show up. Hope it doesn’t make too many changes. I did read that Edge will allow extensions which should make the anti-virus companies happy.

I don’t like big changes. My grocery store is shifting everything again (did that 2 years ago). It claims this is to set up an e-order space for designated pickup. That doesn’t appeal to me. In the process they eliminated some items including my husband’s favorite cereal. I can buy it at Walmart still, but that is a longer drive for me.

My trip to the Farmers’ Market this morning was futile. Nobody had small tomatoes. Maybe next week. The sweet corn stall was doing booming business. We had bought some direct at The Farm Thursday. I didn’t buy any for tonight.

I helped my sister-in-law sort through boxes of Christmas items yesterday. She did a good job of downsizing. I hauled 5 boxes to Goodwill. Seeing all of the work to ready a home for sale brings relief that my house-selling days are over. Of course there might be a move down the road which would require the downsizing and packing up jobs, but not the having to keep everything looking good for showings.

Enjoy what is left of summer. School starts here August 15th. The calendar may say two months of summer left, but we all know that once school starts summer is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment