Saturday, July 16, 2016

A Summer Saturday

 

What a beautiful day! We will be eating our lunch sitting on the front porch for sure. By next Thursday we will be in the 90’s; have to seize the opportunities when we can.

I went to the farmers’ market this morning. Bought some sweet corn from The Farm. Delicious Ambrosia corn for tonight’s supper. The man whose tomatoes I especially like had none ripe yet. He said about 2 weeks. But there was one stall who had tomatoes, a gamut of varieties which I always enjoy. This farmer said he has plenty coming ripe right now.

I also bought a loaf of home-made bread. We’ll find out whether we like this vendor’s wares at lunch.

Since I was downtown, I stopped at the public library to check out a book I saw suggested in a newspaper article about Indiana’s bicentennial.

When we moved to Texas, I read Fehrenbach’s history of Texas. I grew up in California so California history was what was taught in the schools. This history of Indiana is a lot smaller than the Texas history; should be easier reading. I had wanted to read a history of Indiana when we moved back here in 2007, but nobody had any suggestions. Hoosiers by Madison was published in 2014.

I am scheduled to give a book review on October 5th at the Winona Literary Club. I was thinking about Quiet by Susan Cain which I read a few months ago. Recently I learned the theme for the 2016-2017 club year is Indiana. If the Madison book is decent, I will probably review it instead.

Time to make sandwiches and put the TV trays on the front porch. Have a nice Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment