Tuesday, July 28, 2015

In the Heat of Summer

It has been in the 80’s this past week. Very humid most days, too. Our frequent rains have become sporadic. Probably a thunderstorm tomorrow which will help the sticky air disappear.

This afternoon I walked a short ways to see what is blooming at my neighbors’ homes. My knock-out rosebushes  have rebloomed and have lots of roses right now. My moss roses which love heat have petered out some; maybe when we get the rain tomorrow they will revive a bit. Lots of the blooms have gone to seed which is good because then I will have flowers next year. Not very pretty right now though.

My next-door neighbor is gone for awhile. Her rudbeckias? don’t seem to need her help.

The bright red house on Elder Lane has tomatoes just turning red. Reports are that tomatoes didn’t do very well this year because all the wetness made them susceptible to blight and disease. I am going to visit the farmers’ market early Saturday morning to see if any small tomatoes might be ripening. Corn is behind too, but we have had some decent Indiana corn-on-the-cob from the grocery store recently. Grilling hamburgers tonight and bought some ears of corn to eat with that.


My nearest non-condo neighbor has a yard full of flowers. The daisies are drying up some, but still pretty blooms to see.


She has fixed a nice seat for herself amid some other flowers.

That is my condo in the distance beyond the power box.

The summer has gone by so fast. We have a family reunion here in Winona Lake this Saturday August 1st. Squeezing it in before school starts again. I think school starts August 10th for Warsaw district; maybe a bit later. All the stores have back-to-school sales. I’m not quite ready to let go of summer.

How does it feel and look where you are?

No comments:

Post a Comment