Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Windows 10

A few days ago, I received a little icon on the bar near to connections, volume control, etc. It is an invitation to reserve a free update from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Windows 10 is slated to debut in late July.


I don't know whether to do this. I understand and get along with Windows 7 fine. However, at some point, Microsoft will no longer support Windows 7. It looks like Windows 10 is kind of a mash-up of Windows 8 and Windows 7. It has the tiles of 8, but the start button of 7.


What worries me is that Windows 10 comes with a new browser. I am not in the mood to learn a new way of searching, etc., especially since I now have to learn how to post on blogger without using Windows Live Writer. There is always a reticence to change, and a time cost to learn a new system.


The "invitation" says this free upgrade will be available for a limited time, but no explanation of when the time ends. I would rather let people upgrade and review the product before jumping on the opportunity. Supposedly Windows 10 has been beta tested by millions of people worldwide so hopefully the bugs have been worked on.


What do you think? Are you planning to accept this free upgrade?

1 comment:

  1. I have read a little more about Windows 10. The free upgrade will be available until July 29, 2016, one year from release date. However, there will be no Media Center (which I don't think I have, just Windows Media Player) and if I read the material correctly, no Windows Live Essentials. I use Windows Live Mail; I think this will disappear. I am going to wait to see upgraders responses. I also am worried that my Print Artist program will no longer work. I already had to replace one print program (Broderbund) when I went from Windows XP to Windows 7.

    ReplyDelete