Friday, September 20, 2013

Too Quiet?

So you won’t think I decided to stay in Canada, here are a few words. I am anxious to share my Quebec trip with you, but I have not found time to post the photos and write some descriptions. My brother-in-law died the day before I arrived home. He had been struggling with Parkinson’s for several years, the last 5 in a nursing home. The memorial service is tomorrow. My husband’s sister did make sure that we were notified by email on my Nook.

 

I knew it was to be very hot while we were gone. I didn’t ask anybody to water my potted plant on the porch; I had decided to just let it die as it wasn’t very robust anymore. I did manage to buy two small mums since coming home, and they now grace my porch.

I also bought some crocus bulbs on sale which I planted next to my back patio. I may have flowers next March or I may have just bought $4 deer food. I am pretty sure it was deer that ate my first attempts right down to the nubbins two years ago. One morning I had pretty little flowers, the next you could hardly tell where they had risen. Of course the squirrels may beat the deer to a tasty treat by eating the corms this autumn.

 

I have been busy catching up on laundry, grocery shopping, going thru the mail and all of those “fun” things one faces upon return from a time of being away. I did manage to edit my trip photos and get in on a special Walgreen’s photo sale which ended Sunday. Now I have photos from about half a dozen trips that need to be put in albums and labeled. Getting more and more behind; I may actually look forward to colder weather and staying inside so I can tackle this project.

 

Speaking of colder weather, we did have a few chilly nights recently. We decided to put the electric mattress pad on the bed. I have to say I was dubious of this concept when my husband wanted us to buy one. With an electric blanket you have warmth spreading over your entire body. With the mattress pad, only the body parts (side) laying on the pad gets any warmth. As it turned out, this pad only warmed up if you were lying on it. The rest of the pad barely got warm. If you changed positions, you felt cold for quite awhile. I need to dig out the receipt and see if I can return it . It did not meet our needs. Back to the electric blanket; however, we were going to put the electric on the guest bed as the one we had in there died. So I still need to shop for a blanket for our guests.

 

All of the blogs I read dealing with food and home decorating are showing off their autumn favorites. I will be lucky if I get any autumn decorations up before September 28th when my husband’s siblings and spouses arrive in Winona Lake for a reunion. Next week is shaping up a little less hectic, but we need to take our Prius to the dealer for a replacement of a brake booster pump (?) that is part of a recall. How is your autumn starting out?

No comments:

Post a Comment