Thursday, August 15, 2013

New Stuff

Tuesday afternoon was beautiful with white puffy clouds in a bright blue sky. It was also rather cold once one stepped out of the car in the gusty wind, but that didn’t keep us from heading for Berrien County Michigan with its fruit groves. We bought Red Haven peaches, some for us and some to share. We have enjoyed eating them as is, but today I baked a peaches n’ cream pie, a recipe I cut from a newspaper several years ago. It smells divine with a cinnamony undercurrent. I made this once before.

In this recipe, you use peach halves, not slices. I only used 3 as our peaches are rather large.

 Peaches ‘n Cream Pie

 

1 uncooked 9-inch deep-dish pastry shell

4 cups peaches (7 to 8 fresh peach halves; canned fruit to equal 4 cups; or one 1-pound bag frozen peaches)

2/3 cup sugar

4 tablespoons flour

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup heavy cream

 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. If using fresh peaches, peel them; drain canned peaches or defrost and drain frozen peaches. Place peaches, rounded side up, in pie shell.

Mix sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt and cream. Pour over peaches. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes. Once the crust is brown, put foil over the edges to prevent overbrowning. Serve warm. Makes 6 to 8 servings. 

After we bought our peaches, we dined at Wheatberry restaurant in Buchanan, Michigan. It was too chilly to sit on the deck (yes, we are having very unusual summer weather). My beef brisket and baked beans were very good. My husband said his walleye was also good. The waitress raved about the peach cobbler so we split a dish. Nothing to write home about in my opinion. 

Yesterday I went to Carsons to see if the summer slippers were discounted yet. They weren’t; I passed thru the scarf department to get to them, however, and decided to look around as I will be traveling in September and a spot of color on my neutral tops would be pretty. I wasn’t looking for an infinity scarf (didn’t set out shopping for a scarf after all), but that seemed to be what was marked down. I suppose these are a trend that has passed. Oh, well, the price was right and the scarf is pretty. I looked on the internet to see how to wear an infinity scarf. Some people are very creative, even making a mini-skirt and hood and shrug out of a scarf. My scarf is not as big as some and not a stretchy material, but I did try doing a small shawl look and it worked. How have you worn an infinity scarf? 

                                         

 Last but not least, dreams do come true. My husband found a Dodge Dakota pickup truck that has the features he wants and fit into the price range I had agreed on. He now belongs to the fraternity of pickup truck owners.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment