Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Wakarusa Dime Store



Our retirement condo residents get together once a month for lunch. Usually that is in the community center. Sometimes though we go to a restaurant, even some that are a bit of a drive. Today we went to Wakarusa, Indiana. After lunch in a local cafĂ©, we visited the Wakarusa Dime Store. Known for its jumbo jelly beans (4-5 times bigger than regular jelly beans), they also have almost 50 flavors of salt water taffy, and lots of what we called in my childhood penny candy but believe me it costs more than a penny these days. 

They sell the taffy by the pound as well as some other bulk candies, all at the same price so you can fill a bag with an assortment and have them weigh it for you. I bought a little over 1/2 pound. They also sell Jelly Bellies already packaged. The jumbo jelly beans have maybe half a dozen with free samples. Watch out for the cinnamon flavor. It is like eating a fistful of red hot candies at one time. Clears the sinuses. My husband threw in the Tootsie Rolls, and I included some individually-wrapped hard candies. One of those, with a raspberry center in a hard candy shell reminds me of what we used to get in our church post-Christmas-program goody bags. I doubt I will remember the exact flavor of the taffy and be surprised when I take the first bite. The green one, for example, is a pear flavor, but not sure of the other colors. They also had large jars of unwrapped hard candies from which to select with the assistance of the clerk. A sugar high ahead for us these next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment