Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Looking Like Christmas

I have almost finished decorating. It is time consuming, but I get to think of all of the memories associated with my Christmas items. This Bavarian Nativity joined us fairly early in our marriage. One Thanksgiving my husband joined his brother at a Lions football game. My sister-in-law and her two children were going to drive me up to Frankenmuth, Michigan. The kids both woke with ear aches. I decided I would go by myself with my sister-in-law’s blessings. This was my purchase at Bronner's, a famous Christmas retail warehouse.

                               

We downsized to a tabletop tree even before we moved to Indiana. Now it is just the right size for our sunroom.
 But I had accumulated lots of ornaments thru the years that wouldn’t be the right scale for the little tree. I have experimented thru the years how to display my favorites from trips and craft fairs and that had graced my gifts. I used a lot of them as package toppers, but I couldn’t part with these yet. This year I put them in the wooden compote dish my husband made last year.

The painted gourd ornament from Santa Fe, New Mexico found a close-by niche.


There are other things though. A collector’s plate that my father had and never used that I was unable to sell on ebay has become central to my lighted bookcase display.
  


 
My mom had a really cute tissue box cover at her house one year when I visited. She asked my cousin to make one for me for the next Christmas. This cousin did these on her long bus ride to work and home.


I have tried a few new things this year. The little pillow my sister gave me one year at her house now sits on the loveseat next to the new wine sherpa throw.
         
My Debbie Mumm plates scooped up at after-Christmas sales at Mervyn’s are too reflective to photograph well. I have some hanging in a plate rack in the sunroom and some in the kitchen cupboard with mugs to use throughout the season.  Here is a photo of one of them from ebay. She sure was popular for awhile. I haven’t heard of her in years; have you? 
 
 

There are a few other touches, but I have rambled much too long. Enjoy your own decorations and memories.

 
 
 
 
 






No comments:

Post a Comment