Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Cherry On Top

Earlier this spring I attempted to teach some computer basics to residents of my retirement village. I was expecting some remembering and navigation problems and there were some, but the big surprise to me was how hard it was for them to use the mouse. The 90+-agers especially had unsteady hands. Holding the cursor on an icon long enough to click it was almost impossible for some individuals. As I watched the excitement about email and internet fade from their eyes as they struggled, I wished for a touch-screen computer. The library had no funds for such an expenditure.
If you read AARP magazines/bulletins or other senior-oriented magazines, you may have seen ads for the WOW computer which is touch-screen and has an easy interface and is marketed for seniors. In researching this, I discovered it is similar to a Telikin computer which sells for less. Furthermore, I discovered Telikin Cares, this company’s special program which gives a free Telikin to 2 organizations/individuals each month to nominees demonstrating need and compatibility with the program’s goals.
After asking permission from the people who oversee the retirement library to nominate Grace Village, I submitted an online nomination, giving the relevant details. This evening at supper I was browsing the AARP magazine and saw a WOW ad. I remarked to my husband that we apparently didn’t qualify or interest Telikin. As I checked email after eating, up popped an email from Telikin Cares. Grace Village is going to receive one of their computers. We had been chosen!
God filled our bowl with an ice cream sundae topped with a cherry. Thank you, Heavenly Provider.

No comments:

Post a Comment