Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Nostalgia and Melancholy

 Last night I decided to sort through my greeting card memory box. I wanted to make room for future cards, though I don't keep as many as I used to. 



I have some cards one of my aunts sent me when I was probably 6 or 7 years old and then decades of birthday, anniversary, and Valentine cards mostly from my husband.

It started out pleasantly enough, but about midway through I felt weepy. Where did all of the years go? Things and people did not always turn out the way I expected in some cases. Seeing all of those anniversary and Valentine cards from my husband reminded me how faithfully he has loved me through the years. I should have showed him more appreciation at the times when I received them.

There were some cards with notes from my twin sister that reminded me of our first separation when she went to Seattle for college. Also, some notes of encouragement when I first moved to Indiana and was homesick. Some cards from my mom and dad who are now gone. 

I found a card I decided to put in a frame to display during this spring. I have it sitting on the table in my sunroom. 


It was a nostalgic journey through my past.

No comments:

Post a Comment