Thursday, April 20, 2023

Busy Happy Day

 We usually eat breakfast in a restaurant on Friday mornings; but since we no longer get a Friday morning newspaper delivered to us (it comes in the mail), my husband thinks he would like to switch to Thursday. That way he can go to the gym on Friday and not have 3 days of not going over the weekend. 

This morning we had the Super Imperial Omelet (to share) at American Table. By the time we left, it was raining slightly. A little before 10 a.m. we headed for North Webster where the Friends of the Library were holding a book sale. What great prices! 50 cents per item. I have never seen them have such low prices for hardbound books and DVD's. I bought Sense and Sensibility on DVD to replace our VCR tape copy. I can't get the audio to work on our machine. I also bought a DVD of Call the Midwife


My husband bought a few books for himself. Mostly he paid for some of my heavy decorating books and took them to the car so I could keep browsing and filling up my bag.




The Shaffer book is secular, and the author unfamiliar to me. At 50 cents, not much of a gamble. I can't remember if I have read any Tyndall. Fisher and Austin I have read before.

 The Francine Rivers book is a novel about Amos the Biblical prophet. I have a soft spot for Amos because of the connection to the weeks my husband and I spent in Israel as consultants to the Institute of Holy Land Studies on Mount Zion. I went out with the college students on some of the field trips. We were taken to Tekoa. The bus stopped next to the road, and the occupants found rocks to sit on scattered in a field that probably pretty much looked the way it did when Amos shepherded his sheep. We spent personal time in prayer and devotions. 

We had several stops on Indiana 13 today enroute to the book sale because of roadwork. We came home on some country roads that took us to Old Highway 30. The redbud trees burst into full bloom just this week. It was a very pretty drive.

It got to 80 this afternoon. I sat on the porch for a while. Our neighborhood pear trees are also blooming; my quince bush blossoms are just starting to open up. Tomorrow brings more rain and a drop in temps for the weekend. It won't be porch-sitting weather even next week.




The shadows of the day are the struggles of two friends with heart conditions, one in the hospital in Fort Wayne undergoing tests, the other having been told by his doctor that nothing more could be done to help him. I also learned that the sweet lady who moved with her husband into my former sister-in-law's apartment in July died this morning. She had a stroke several weeks ago; a valve was damaged, and the doctors offered no hope of fixing it. In a senior community, folks struggle with health issues. Death is not a stranger.

No comments:

Post a Comment