Saturday, April 24, 2021

Slow Slog

 I have been working on restoring the pictures to my blog posts that were affected when my husband and I removed photos from Google Picture from our cell phones without realizing that the blog would lose them.

I have about a 4 1/2 year period that needs to be fixed. Of course not every post had photos, but some like the one about Winona Lake had 2 dozen. 

I have reached January of 2014 so still have about 3 years to fix yet. It is a slow slog. I discovered that if I went to "view" rather than to "edit" that sometimes the photos would appear if I clicked on the gray box; then I could save them to my computer to be inserted into the posts. Mostly I have been using the photos in a folder in Google labeled Blog Pictures. Using that makes the photos appear in the order they appear on my blog which is better than searching through all of the photos already saved on my computer.

 In some cases the photos are gone. They do not appear when I click on the gray boxes, they are not in the Google Blog folder, and they are not on my computer. I have to edit the text sometimes since what is being described has no corresponding photo.

What I don't understand is not all of the posts that have/had photos were affected by our blunder. I am wondering if once things are fixed and I remove the Google photos off of our phones, will these that were not restored because they hadn't disappeared suddenly disappear. I will have to test that hypothesis carefully. 

Once I reach 2016, the Live Writer mechanism I used to create posts was discontinued and I had to use Blogger direct, and those photos were not stored on Google. As I mentioned before I did not know that the Live Writer photos had been stored on Google Picture at all or that there was a link to where they were stored to the blog post. 

It has been interesting to see what I talked about 9 years ago. Hard to believe I have been blogging that long. Some of the memories relived while restoring have been hard reminders of challenging times such as when I tore a tendon in my foot that required surgery and staying off my foot for 6 weeks, slowly regaining use of it. Most are just the stuff of routine life with a trip thrown in sometimes. Next week is very busy so I doubt I will get much fixing done. It is going to take time and persistence.


No comments:

Post a Comment