Thursday, July 25, 2019

Today's Gems

This morning I took a more round-about way to the grocery store by going south to Pierceton Road which becomes King's Highway in Winona Lake. I was pleased to see that I knew the couple hosting a garage sale; they attended the Brethren Church with me back in the 1970's and 1980's. I am quite sure they did not recognize me. When I brought my 2 books, packet of notepads, and a decorative dish to the payment table, the daughter told her mother not to charge for the books; the lady then said you can have the notepads free too. So I paid $1.00 for all of my items. I told them I would be glad to pay the $2.25 but they insisted I pay only the dollar.


I don't have any autumn plates. I really like this one. I will put it on a stand probably and display it in my living room or use it to serve cookies, etc. I can't believe how quickly the summer is passing us by.
The two books are for me, not Grace Village library. I do have several pads for grocery lists, but mostly winter scenes. 
I especially like these two pads. I tucked the purple floral one into my stationery drawer to add a note when I send a card. The other one went into the grocery coupon/list drawer.

I continued on to Walgreen's, then Martin's grocery store. Martin's has Michigan blueberries for sale (5 pound box). Craig's Blueberries in our area has been advertising they have berries to pick for the last two weeks, but my husband wants me to buy them at the store instead. I will wash and sort them tonight. Most of them will be frozen. Next week I will go again for a second box.



After doing my regular grocery shopping at Owen's, I drove to Sweetcorn Charlie's where I bought half a dozen ears of corn, some tomatoes, and a large red pepper. The corn at the produce stand is more expensive than that at Owen's. We will see if it enough better to justify the expense. We have lots of sunshine today but fairly low humidity. It was 55 degrees this morning when I got out of bed.
Owen's seems to have an overstock of roses. They were selling a dozen for $6.00. True they look a little past the prime. Whenever I feel like I am splurging, I do the Starbucks Test. If I was like the typical person buying specialty coffee, would it cost about the same as my splurge. The coffee only lasts a short while; the roses will last several days. I decided the floral purchase passed the test. How we rationalize our decisions, right?

I decided to cut the roses shorter and put them in a smaller vase so they would be more compact and closer together.

No comments:

Post a Comment