Monday, July 15, 2019

Gremlins

It  has been quite a weekend and day. Friday night my computer displayed the message "Missing operating system". I could not access Windows 10 thus none of my programs and files. When I went to the configuration screen I saw this. RAID0 (Stripe) FAILED




Today I finally received the name of a reliable computer repair company that works with residents not just businesses. I didn't take my tower in, but talked with a tech on the phone. Since I do have an external drive with most of my files (a few months out of date), he didn't think it would be worth my while and the expense to replace the drive nor try to recover any data. The computer is 7 1/2 years old. So I am shopping for a new computer. Once I find one, I have a big job uploading files choosing settings, installing programs. I sure have missed my computer.

When I was at my bank this morning I cashed a check (the money to go in my wallet), then asked to withdraw $200 for my husband to go into an envelope. The electronic pad wouldn't process my signature. I had to sign a printed slip. The teller thinking he was being gentlemanly asked for the envelope to put the cash into, something I have never done before. Somehow between juggling my wallet, the slip of paper, and being rattled by the change in signing routine, I walked out of the bank without the cash. When I got home and opened my purse there was no envelope to give my husband. I immediately went back to the credit union. The teller wasn't there, but another young man greeted me as I entered and asked "how are you today?"
I answered not doing very well, and he immediately said you must be the lady that left behind the $200. The teller was at lunch and the envelope locked in a drawer. When I returned at 2 p.m. the envelope was waiting for me, and because I had to sign a paper receipt earlier, the teller even wrote my name on the envelope since he had it from the slip.

After my first stop at the credit union, I took 2 bags of books to the public library to donate before going home. As I got in my car, I heard the train whistle (the train blocks all of the east-west traffic in the middle of Warsaw) so I wasn't surprised to find myself in a long line of non-moving cars since they could not turn left from southbound Detroit Street onto eastbound Center because of the train. I sat thru 4 traffic cycles before getting to the front of the lane to turn left. But I couldn't turn because though the train was gone, the gate started to rise, then came back down and the northbound cars turning right filled all of the available space. I had to wait thru two more green arrow cycles before the gate went back up.

Technology and modern gizmos were full of gremlins today.


No comments:

Post a Comment