Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Celebrating 42 Years

My husband doesn't routinely give me flowers on our anniversary. A few decades ago I told him that since flowers last such a short time, skipping the traditional bouquet would be OK. However, at 11 a.m. June 11th the doorbell rang and there stood a delivery person with a vase of flowers for me.



 He asked the florist shop to put together a bouquet that would last longer than just roses, though there are a couple of roses here.

For our evening meal, we drove to Fort Wayne to dine at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. There was one in Dallas, but we never visited it. When this restaurant opened in Fort Wayne, he decided we would make a special effort to go. Our 42nd anniversary seemed a good time.
We sat in a banquette (booth with surrounding "wall") for two. The seating staff put some rose petals around the candle. This alerts the waiter and other staff that the couple is celebrating an anniversary. We received many good wishes from the wait staff.

The steak choices are plentiful. Mostly from $40 on up. I had the petite filet mignon. My husband had the ribeye (16 ounces!). There are some non-beef entrees (salmon, veal), but why skip steak when eating at a steakhouse. The menu is ala carte. The appetizers, salads, soups, and side dishes have a charge. I ordered the harvest salad which was terrific. A mixture of greens, small tomatoes, roasted corn, goat cheese, French fried onion bits, bacon, dried cherries, spiced pecans all blended so well. Each bite was interesting. It was dressed with a balsamic vinaigrette. Hubby had a bowl of lobster bisque. The waiter told us that the sides were generous enough that two could share. We shared potatoes au gratin which I found underwhelming. I had kept some of my salad to eat with the steak, and my husband ordered grilled asparagus with Hollandaise sauce. I did eat a bit of his asparagus.

While I visited the ladies room and the assistant waiter wrapped half of the ribeye for a to-go bag, my husband perused the dessert menu. I felt the waiter could have told us we would be getting a small dessert gratis to celebrate. He did not. We ordered a piece of carrot cake which could have served 3 people easily. It was a towering hunk of cake. We brought half of it home along with the free desserts (cup of chocolate mousse and a mini carrot cake) which were presented to us while we were eating the cake.
The manager brought us an anniversary card with a $25 gift card which is good for 6 months. Maybe we will try lunch (only on Fridays) and sit on the patio. Though very nice, Ruth's Chris Steakhouse is expensive.

As we drove home with our left-overs, we passed farmers in the fields taking advantage of the beautiful weather to plant their fields.

We had a steak sandwich for lunch today, the mini desserts this evening, and the large piece of carrot cake will probably be consumed tomorrow night. Still enjoying our anniversary goodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment