Sunday, December 31, 2017

The Coat Saga

The next time you take your coat from a public coat rack, take a close look. On December 17th after my husband and I finished eating at a Chinese restaurant as I took my coat next to his from the long rack by the front door and slipped my arm into the sleeve, it felt tight. I took a look at the label. This was not my coat; but my black quilted coat with a hood was nowhere to be found. This coat's appearance was similar, but there were no gloves in the pockets and it definitely was a different brand. I left my name and telephone number with the owner who also works the payment desk. I hoped when the person who took my coat hung it up at home, she would realize it was not hers. 

Our church was to go Christmas caroling that afternoon. At first I was in a real funk. Finally I decided I was not going to let this incident ruin my day. I found my old blue coat with a broken zipper but that still snapped shut and a different pair of gloves. I got by OK. However, the forecast was for temperatures in the single digits and teens for the upcoming weekend. I waited until Wednesday around 1 p.m. and went back to the restaurant. By now it was warm enough for no jacket or a light jacket. A single coat hung on the rack: the black hooded ladies coat that was not mine. The restaurant had heard nothing.

I knew my old coat was probably not going to keep me warm enough once the frigid air arrived. I went to the store where I had purchased the coat 2 years ago hoping there would be something similar. They didn't even have that brand, but the store's online site had something by that brand and on sale at a good price. Midnight was the deadline for free shipping. I ordered it with free expedited shipping with the possibility of getting it by Saturday. By the time the web store processed the order, the FedEx message said delivery by Tuesday after Christmas. Then FedEx posted that because of wind shear problems in Memphis the coat would not arrive until Wednesday after Christmas. I would have to make do. 

I had loved my black coat. It took me a long while to find a coat that fit well with all of the features I wanted. I knew its disappearance was a mistake, but I still harbored bad feelings toward the person who had my coat. I struggled some to release these feelings and to forgive her, but finally I was at peace.

Upon arriving at church Christmas Eve morning, there hung my coat. Oh, oh. I was the one who had taken the wrong coat and wore it to the restaurant. I went back to the Chinese restaurant to retrieve the other coat. Then I posted an email message to the church list explaining that I had taken the wrong coat and to call me so I could return it quickly. Nobody called. Well it was a holiday and the lady could be out of town. It was not until Thursday morning that a lady from my church called. My husband took the call. She hadn't noticed the email (though I checked and she was included), but somebody else mentioned it to her when she told them about her coat. It is now safely back in her possession. I asked for her forgiveness for causing her problems. She graciously forgave.

It was a blessing that the new coat did not arrive until after Christmas. Since I now had my coat back, I returned the internet-ordered coat to the local store per the instructions. I had not worn it or removed the tags, and the whole return process was easily accomplished. 

I learned how attached I could be to one of my possessions; I saw God work things out with the delay of the new coat to ease its return; I was humbled from causing another person to worry and to wonder. This morning when the man behind me teased that he was sitting behind a coat thief, I smiled back. I now keep a cheap scarf in my coat pocket which I place around the hanger so there will be no doubt it is mine. Take a good look at that coat you grab.


No comments:

Post a Comment