Monday, August 28, 2017

Unsettling

I started using Elisabeth Elliot's Keep a Quiet Heart today for my devotional reading. If there ever was a time when one needs the calming presence of God, it surely is now.

She cites Psalm 16:5 (NIV): "Lord, You have assigned me my portion and cup, and have made my lot secure.
She says "A quiet heart is content with what God gives. It is enough. ... My assignment entails my willing acceptance of my portion."

It reminds me of my post about the beggar's bowl.

My portion in the past few days appears to be illness. The glands in my neck felt swollen Saturday night. By Sunday morning my throat was scratchy. I had hoped allergens were causing my problems, but with the sore throat I was pretty sure it was a cold. Today I am moving into the sneezing phase.

While away in Michigan, we received word that my friend and Robin Hood neighbor who has metastatic cancer was hospitalized. Unfortunately, all of the drugs/meds that the doctors have used to keep her cancer in control have stopped working. There is nothing more to be done except stabilize and strengthen her enough so she can return home. I wanted to visit her in the hospital in Fort Wayne, but now I need to stay away since she has a compromised immune system.

We have three former acquaintances living in Houston. The couple who was part of our adult fellowship class in Dallas we have not kept up contact with in several years. The man who worked with us in the library, then moved to manage the library in the Houston extension campus, my husband has communicated with occasionally. We see on the Dallas website that the Houston campus has been shut down for this week at least. We do not know if it has been flooded.

This flooding brings back memories of Hurricane Katrina. One of the processing centers for evacuees was about half a mile from my house in Mesquite, Texas. I read on the internet that Dallas shelters have so far accepted about 1000 people who fled Houston. I suspect there will be many more. Helping these people to find temporary shelter and jobs is a tremendous responsibility. Those who were bussed in from New Orleans were more than government agencies could help. Charities and churches stepped in. We donated a twin bed we owned, then I bought kitchen towels and cookware which were distributed out of a warehouse owned by a church member. Our whole church pitched in.

I am limited in what I can do at this time. So I try to focus on helping somewhere else. I have started to purchase notebooks, pencils, other supplies on sale to put in my Operation Christmas Child box. I always like to include a big tote bag or purse. Usually I find it at Walmart or Kohl's. I don't feel up to shopping right now, but I have lots of time yet. At least I have started.

Saturday morning I went to the Farmers' Market to buy some sweet corn. The lady from whom I buy tomatoes was not there. She said last week that her produce would be at the Tomato Festival in Pierceton on the 26th. The money I normally spend on tomatoes I used to buy some flowers.


The color is fading some in the zinnias, but they are still nice. My whole kitchen smells like peaches today as they quickly ripen. I made a cobbler Saturday from a recipe from the internet. Too sweet though I reduced the sugar, and the dough baked up more like a fine cake and was sort of mushy. Do you have a good cobbler recipe?

I stayed home from church yesterday and am sequestering myself today to not pass on germs. My linen and storage closet in the hall is a jumbled mess. I rummaged through it to find paper goods for the family reunion and threw in the plates I bought that were left over. Maybe I will sort it out this afternoon, but first a little rest.



No comments:

Post a Comment