Thursday, June 15, 2017

Floundering


I have felt unmotivated and somewhat down the past few days. Perhaps it is summer doldrums; it has certainly been hot enough lately to feel like summer.

I try to remind myself of that saying, "When life hands you a lemon, make lemonade", but it hasn't helped much. My pot of pink geraniums that I bought to cheer me from having no crocus blooms, no moss rose plants (they have completely died I guess from too much standing water), no irises this year has had its own disaster. The pot had blown off the little teak table once before, but I didn't think that yesterday's storm was that gusty. However, I guess the pot is too unstable to sit off the ground. The pot lay on its side, dirt smearing the porch and broken off blooms, stems, and leaves littering the dirt. I put some of the blooms in my pitcher/vase from our Ohio trip ("making lemonade") and kept the upright pot off of the table, but I feel a little sad at the loss of the flowers and promising buds. Trying to enjoy having some flowers inside since it is too hot to sit outside.

Because the library shelves are too full for the donated books I just processed (the last of 8 boxes, only kept 4 boxes worth), I had to do some weeding in the non-fiction section today. Making space is an on-going struggle. I guess I should look on the positive that the library is getting "new" books, but weeding and then having to haul off heavy bags of books is my least favorite thing to do for the library. My back has been bothering me for awhile now, and carrying these bags aggravates it more.

I did have a pleasant 40th anniversary Sunday, eating steak at a Fort Wayne restaurant followed by a complimentary chocolate dessert. But I have been reflecting on my life at this milestone, thinking of the limited years ahead for us. My husband and I did talk of loosening the purse strings more to enjoy travel while we are still able to do so.

Maybe I will get into sorting thru papers, the next KonMari category, next week. I need to do the house cleaning I have put off, too. It is supposed to be a little cooler next week. In fact, I think Monday I will take a walk on the Winona trails. I suggested that we attend a concert tomorrow night at the Heritage Room, too. A change of routine would probably do me good.

No comments:

Post a Comment