Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Turmoil

On August 17th, a carpeting replacement project for Building B of Grace Village began. They are laying new carpet throughout the main campus; already finished Building A and eventually will do Building C. The library is in Hall D of Building B.

I stopped by yesterday to see if I could get in the library, but they were tearing up the old carpet right in front of the library and had parked some of their equipment in the doorway. The residents had been told it might take up to 2 weeks to complete the project. I learned accidentally when the carpeting contractor stopped in with the administrator who oversees physical plant that the library itself is included in this project. Problem is I don’t know when the library will be available to me or the residents. There is no timetable. I brought home the stamp and ink pad and will work on some books for Assisted Living bookshelves. Also, get caught up on updating the fiction list. Not only can I and my new assistant not access the library for training purposes, but I wonder what will happen to the computer connections, etc. when the furniture is moved around or out to allow carpeting. A time of turmoil.

Since I can’t work in the library, I have more time at home. I baked a peach pie this morning. All of my Red Haven peaches started developing soft spots about the same time. I put them in the refrigerator which slowed down some of the deterioration, but I needed to use them soon.

Nothing special about the recipe I used; pretty standard.

I must say the peach dessert with the cake-like topping was easier and faster to make.

 I have a skirt that I need to shorten, clothes to iron, and some internet research to do on possible day-trips for our stay in California in September. I also am catching up on my magazine reading and have read 2 books so far this week. Probably should read more of the car manual as well as there are many still unknown buttons, etc. It has been nice to have a break from the library.

 My moss roses have perked up again; more flowers. We have been eating lots of sweet corn and tomatoes savoring the tastes of summer, but the tips of some of the leaves on the maple I see to my west are starting to turn red. Kids are back in school. Reminders that summer is winding down.



No comments:

Post a Comment