Sunday, May 11, 2014

Calibrachoa

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

In northern Indiana, Mother’s Day is the safe point for planting flowers. I usually just get pots/containers anyway so can move them into the garage if a frost is predicted. Yesterday I bought these two plants. Typically, I would buy one container to put on my small parsons table on the porch. Meijers had a sale that if you bought one plant, you could a second of same or lesser price for half price. The garden area had lots of plants, but nobody to answer questions. The tags did not have any identification of the flowers. I think the small roundish ones are calibrachoa. I had them in a planter last year and was pleased. They don’t need deadheading like petunias. Calibrachoa looks like small (about 1 inch across) petunias. They come in many colors. The common name is million bells.

 

I don’t know what the bright pink flowers are. They remind me of some purple flowers I had a few years ago in a mixed container. Do you know what they are?

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I don’t have my mother’s green thumb. Hopefully, these will last thru the summer. I will have to get a neighbor to water them while I am in southern California for a few weeks in July. We are getting a few nice days to sit on the porch though next week will not be as nice because of wind and rain. In the back next to the patio, the moss roses are coming up and spreading out. No blooms until June probably. The cheddar pinks have stems with buds which I think will open in another week. Starting to look like spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment