Thursday, March 14, 2013

In the Sun’s Orbit

Now that the income tax filing is done, I have time to read through my happiness/gratitude book I have kept for the past 2 1/2 years. As I reflect on the notations, it is obvious that sunshine, sunsets, sunrise, are the most frequent terms. We woke to 21 degrees this morning, but the bright sunshine has worked to melt most of the remaining snow, and it is about 40 degrees. Our first winter in taking up residence again in Indiana we had very little sunshine. The skies were gray most of the time and even the TV weatherman kept using the term dismal. I felt down much of January and February of 2008. Sunshine makes a big difference in how I cope with winter. I don’t know how people who live in places like Alaska with very few hours of daylight for many months can stand it. I jotted down rain in my book when I was cozily comfortable in my house (the avoidance of rain I guess). I even was thankful for rain one day when I needed to go out because we were in drought and the moisture was precious and greatly needed.

The second most mentioned item was chocolate in some form (cocoa, chocolate cake, candy, warm chocolate chip cookies with melty chips). Yes, I am a chocoholic. I don’t need big servings, but if I go very many days without chocolate I start to crave it. I enjoy Godiva and See’s candies. However, for day-to-day chocolate needs, I like Lindt Lindor dark chocolate truffles. Earlier this year I toured the DeBrand Chocolates factory in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Their silk truffle was tasty but too messy. The interior was more like a syrup. The Lindt brand has just the right consistency: hard outer shell with a soft inner core that melts in the mouth but not liquidy and drippy.

Do you have a favorite chocolate? Do you need sunshine to function at your best? I am also looking to the promise of spring. Not too much longer according to the calendar, but calendars don’t always reflect reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment