Monday, February 26, 2024

Belgian Chocolate--Not!

 

For my birthday, an acquaintance gave me a birthday card and included inside was a strip of little chocolate candies. I like dark chocolate, and these Godiva minibars are 72% cacoa.

I had not seen Godiva candies in strips like these before. She said she bought them at Dollar Tree. I could not find them at my Dollar Tree, but I saw online that I could buy a package of them from Kroger. They turned out to be smaller than her gift, the squares about half the size of hers inside each foil-wrapped unit. 


I noticed the package said crafted in the Belgian tradition. If not made in Belgium, what was the source of this candy? Turkey!


My internet search showed that Godiva which started in Brussels, Belgium, in 1926 was bought out by a company in Turkey in 2007. The little gold foil wrappers on my candy say Godiva Belgium1926. It is unclear from my search whether some of the product line is still made in Belgium. It is apparently made in other countries and sold in many countries, but now owned by this Turkish company. The candy is delicious, but it did make me pause a bit to think about it being made in Turkey. 



No comments:

Post a Comment