Wednesday, September 6, 2023

Pleasantries of the Day

 I did my grocery pick up this afternoon because rain was forecast for this morning. We got a few drops on the windshield, but the pavement didn't even look wet. We could really use rain. Our grass has turned brown. The sprinkler system was never repaired/replaced all summer. 

The condo that burned in February is being worked on some. The predicted date of completion keeps being moved out. Now it is end of November or mid-December. Apparently, no effort was made to fix the irrigation system controls that were burned though we were told they would fix it. 

My neighbor across the street is a Master Gardener, i.e., he has taken the courses/training to earn that title. He is now being employed on a contractor basis at Grace Village. He stopped by this afternoon to ask if he could remove my rose bush and plant a fall mum in its place. He will also plant some bulbs for spring (tulips, maybe hyacinths). Then he will plant something with color for summer. I told him I don't know anything about caring for a mum in the ground. (I always bought one in a pot and discarded at the end of fall). He said he would take care of it. He is going to do similar planting at the unit at the other end of my 4-unit condo building. He wants to keep an eye on how these plants do to inform him if doing something like this at other condos is feasible. That was a pleasant surprise. As I have said before, I do not have a green thumb. 

This afternoon before heading to pick up my groceries, I stopped at the lobby of the Grace Village independent living building. Winona IT, the company that is currently managing the IT at Grace Village, wanted to treat the apartment and condo residents to ice cream. There was a little freezer chest with Igloo ice cream. The Igloo is an ice cream fast food shop in Silver Lake that I have mentioned in a previous post. I chose a cup of Brownie Cascade, chocolate ice cream with bits of brownie. Yum.

My husband is having a medical procedure tomorrow morning that will require me to accompany him. I have loaded a series of books by Nancy Mehl to read on my Galaxy tablet. I started reading number 1 on Monday and because it is a suspenseful book, I kept reading. Now I started on number 2 of the series last night. I think I will download on Hoopla number 3 in case I finish number 2 before he is ready to come home. Mrs. Mehl is a Christian writer. 

I love autumn and am looking forward to my new mum. I may still buy 1-2 small mums in pots to replace my potted geraniums on the front porch.



No comments:

Post a Comment