Wednesday, January 27, 2021

My New Gizmo

 

Today a man delivered this bone stimulation device to my home. Even though the insurance company authorized it, my co-pay was going to be $500. However, OrthoFix called me to see if I qualified for any discounts. Praise the Lord, I qualified for a 100% discount, i.e., the insurance payment is considered payment in full. 

The box with the glowing light keeps track of the amount of time I have worn the device. Once it has counted down to zero, it automatically turns off. If I want to end a session before completing 4 hours, I just turn the power off and then on again for the next session.


 I am supposed to wear it 4 hours a day though the time can be divided into two or three sessions. The minimum session is to be 1 hour at a time. I don't yet know how many months I have to wear it. The agent said most people wear it 3 months. When I see my doctor in 6 weeks, I will ask. It probably partly depends on what the x-ray shows re bone growth. Yesterday's x-ray showed the bone bits in the "cages" that replaced the discs are already starting to grow a bit. 


It is very lightweight. It rests on the shoulders and the "ring" that puts out electronic pulses doesn't actually touch the neck. I cannot feel anything; there is no sensations from the pulses.

People with a smart phone can keep track with an app that syncs with the device. I don't have such a phone, but my Samsung Galaxy tablet has bluetooth and I was able to put the app on the tablet. 




The calendar "dot" will turn green if I wear the device the full 4 hours. I may be asked to bring the tablet with me to my doctor's appointment so he can see that I have been compliant. 

After completing the 4 hours I will connect the stimulation device to a charger so it is ready to go the next day. I sort of feel like Big Brother is keeping track; but on the other hand it does mean I don't have to keep a paper record to remember how much time I have worn it. I haven't read the manual yet. It may be that the company also can access the information. Not sure.

The only annoying feature I have noticed so far is that when I tilt my head back it brushes against the collar around my neck. I can walk around with it, even outdoors, but I need to make sure no rainstorms are expected since it is to be kept dry. I suppose one could cheat and just turn the device on without actually wearing it; that obviously would defeat the point of having it.

Let's pray that the time investment actually pays off with stronger bone.


No comments:

Post a Comment