Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Blueberries and Blooms

We have had a few days of low humidity and cooler mornings. We even had the windows open last night. Today we went to the Berry Patch in Etna Green and picked 8 pounds of blueberries. This is slightly less than the 10 pounds we usually pick. I see Martin's has a 5-pound box of local blueberries for $5.99 with store card. The trick is to get there when they are in stock; at this sale price (about what you pay at the u-pick), people tend to stock up on them. They disappear fast.

The first time I picked blueberries, I washed them and then spread them on a cookie/baking sheet to put in the freezer for 10 minutes. This supposedly was to keep them from sticking together. I have discovered this freezer step is entirely unnecessary. I now have my own method (madness) for getting blueberries ready to eat or to freeze.

The place where we pick lines plastic pails with plastic bags. They take the bag full of berries out of the pail to weigh as you pay by the pound. 

Once home, I take out batches of blueberries and wash them in a colander.

 The washed berries are then spread out on paper towels.

 I roll my hand over the berries to spread them out to get rid of any moisture. In the rolling process, I remove stems and other inedible items. It is rather surprising what ends up in your pail: leaves, twigs, dried up berries, bugs (this year 3 Japanese beetles--one year a little green worm). Some probably fall in unnoticed while you industriously pick away at the bush. They are by no means intentional additions. 

We wear grubby clothes. This morning while my husband was changing once we were home, he realized he had two small berries in his shirt pocket. I have an old pair of Nikes I use for berry picking or weeding in the flower bed.
These are still in the garage. Amidst cleaning and sorting berries, making lunch, and working in the library this afternoon, I didn't have time or energy to clean them yet.

I select the firmest berries to freeze as they are heaped in a gallon freezer bag. In November or January I want berries on my cereal, not a purplish blob. As I put the berries in the freezer bag, I put the less firm ones in the little green Tupperware container. These are the "eat now" berries.  I have never had any frozen berries stick to each other or clump together using this method. 

My Bloom of the Month for July is a mixed bouquet. I picked it up on Monday. 



No comments:

Post a Comment