Saturday, June 16, 2018

KonMari Dropout

One of the main premises of Marie Kondo's decluttering method is to sort category-by-category. At first this was fairly easy. Clothing, books (in 3 places) not too overwhelming; but then I got bogged down in "paper". The suggestion is to get rid of all paper (except legal documents) as "paper never sparks joy." I never completed that category, but moved on to CD's as the Grace Village swap shop approached. 

However, Marie suggests doing the sorting and discarding in one fell swoop over about 6 months. I have passed the one-year mark. I don't feel motivated anymore. The miscellany category has subcategories, but they are really broad: household equipment, household supplies, other. I feel like I would be better switching to room-by-room and drawer-by-drawer at this point. I haven't clicked to "just right" mode of thinking/feeling. I feel I do have more stuff to get rid of, but it doesn't fit into neat categories. 

Meanwhile, I bought jigsaw puzzles, books, 4 blue drinking glasses, a Christmas plate (to serve cookies on, etc.) in the past week and a half at garage sales and the St. Ann tent sale. Do they spark joy? Yes, they do, but they also take up space. 

Yesterday I visited some yard/garage sales mostly looking for puzzles. One of the places was an estate tag sale; the woman in charge said everything would be half off today. I went back this afternoon, and that is where I got the glasses, plate, 2 more puzzles. The shoppers walked through the whole house, including the basement.

You wouldn't believe all of the Christmas ornaments and decorations. There were boxes in the garage and throughout the house of books--I am guessing over 1,000 books. None of the titles were my taste in reading though I did pick up two Agatha Christie books for the library.

Obviously, this lady had not done decluttering. She is now in a nursing home. Her stuff is no good to her, and her family has to empty out the house to sell it. The workers this weekend were professional estate sellers; they were to have somebody come in this evening and haul off what didn't sell. I hope I don't leave somebody such a horrible job when I can no longer live in my condo. Even if it isn't KonMari, I better do some more sorting and discarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment