Saturday, December 21, 2013

Healthcare.gov Works Now!

I checked a few weeks ago, and my account on healthcare.gov had a clickable button to remove my “completed” application and start over again. The good thing about that is that I did not have to verify my identity again. Thursday I received the results of my over-the-phone application in the mail. Several mistakes plus I needed to send documentation to verify my income. They showed my husband buying insurance though he is on Medicare and not eligible.

I decided to go back online and use the remove button. I had been planning to wait until after December 23rd as I thought the website would be busy and hard to access. I got right on. Wow! What a difference. The new application process went smoothly and fast. They had even changed the wording of a few questions that removed some ambiguity. One choice was to allow them to link your application to income verification at the IRS by providing Social Security numbers. I did that, and when my eligibility results arrived online I did not need to provide any more documentation. There was a button to view the available health insurance plans for my area.

I am still comparing the plans. I will probably enroll by the end of next week. We will see if that part of the site works OK. Since my current insurance expiration was extended to February 1st, I do have time to think about which plan will work and to work thru any bugs in the enrollment process.

Too bad it took so long for the government to get a decent site up and running. If it had been in this shape in October, their enrollment figures would be higher and fewer people would have been stressed out.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment