Saturday, December 28, 2013

Foot Note

I thought I would update you on my progress with my surgical foot. My husband has looked at it a few times, and he always says it looks bad, and he doesn’t mean that in a slangy way. Not much of an encourager, but a hard worker as he does so many household chores to keep us humming along. It has been a little over 4 1/2 weeks. The deep purples are turning greenish yellow, the last of the steri-strips came off today, and the swelling is less. I do have a little bit of pain which ups a notch when I do my therapy exercises.

         




The therapist has me mostly doing the exercises on my own at home. There are just 3 simple exercises to increase up and down flexibility. My second session he measured and told me my back ankle movement has gone from 5 (degrees?) to 10. So there has been some improvement. 15 is considered normal. I won’t see the therapist again until January 9th, the day after seeing the surgeon. If all goes well, we will be able to add some other therapies involving more movement. I had been hoping to be rid of the boot, but Aaron (the therapist) told me Dr. Karr usually has his patients stay in the boot as they put weight on the foot. I hit a “wall” last weekend and just didn’t want to deal with the whole boot and knee walker business any more, but of course I do want the foot to heal so continued on.

Thursday night I noticed some lower back and butt pain. I had cooked most of the evening meal myself and maybe overdid? Or maybe I hurt it some when getting out of a chair? Friday the pain was bad enough I had a tough time using my knee walker without being in pain. I switched from Tylenol to Aleve and today I feel good.

Tomorrow I will go to church again and out to eat. I don’t get out of the house much, though, as it is a lot of work. We went out to breakfast yesterday, but my back was killing me. I have to be patient and wait for things to heal.

No comments:

Post a Comment