Monday, July 15, 2013

Wonderful Weekend

This weekend was full of fun activities and pretty things. Friday morning it was pleasant enough to drive to the you-pick place to get some blueberries. My husband and one of our neighbors came along; my husband always picks faster than me so I am glad for his willingness. 

When we had our carpets cleaned a few weeks ago we ate a few meals at our dining table crammed into the sunroom to let the carpet dry. It was so pleasant. We use the sunroom so little that the idea occurred to me that putting a small patio table in there might increase our time spent there. I prayed that we would find a table on sale or one at a consignment shop. Friday afternoon I visited a new consignment shop. Yes, there sat a glass-topped patio table for $20.  

                                          

Sunday morning we breakfasted at our new table with the patio door opened listening to the birds. 

Saturday morning we picked up my sister-in-law and headed for St. Joseph, MI. She had told us about an art fair there. The booths were situated on a tree-shaded bluff overlooking Lake Michigan. It did warm up some later in the day, but there was a nice breeze. The art fair had a great variety of artisans and wares. I love pottery. I bought a bowl with ridged swirls worked into the clay.

It only takes about 2 hours from our house to St. Joseph. We will have to return another time to spend time on Silver Beach and explore the downtown a bit more. There are also quite a few wineries in that region. 

We got home in plenty of time to attend the evening MasterWorks Festival concert. This was the wrap-up weekend. I was so impressed with guest violinist Rachel Barton Pine. It is only today while searching the internet that I realize the reason for her limping gait. She has a prosthetic leg after a terrible calamity. Her newest CD is a group of lullabies inspired by her daughter Sylvia. During an encore Rachel told us about her 1742 violin which in the 19th century was played by Brahms as he helped an acquaintance select a violin. She then played the Brahms Lullaby. 

My beggar’s bowl overflowed this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment