Thursday, April 4, 2013

Country Style

I have a variety of furniture purchased over time or made by my husband. There are some Arts and Craft style, Shaker influences, and a hodgepodge mostly tied together by color or motif. When I look at my pictures culled from magazines and books, however, much of it is cottage/country style. 

Better Homes and Gardens describes country style as not just a look, but often a way of life. “The one thread that connects them [the different visions of country] is a shared appreciation for the simple, unpretentious objects and attitudes of the past.”

“It  appeals to those who seek harmony with nature and take pleasure in the simple things of life. Going on picnics and walks through the woods; attending auctions, crafts festivals, and fairs; watching the sunrise [for me, more likely to be sunset—I am not a morning person]; finding fascination in folk art and handcrafted things; working in the garden; making quilts and weaving; or just sitting by the fireside with friends.” 

While I don’t do all of those things, don’t quilt or garden for example, that pretty much captures the essence of those pictures I have in my “decorating style” folder. Do you agree with these descriptions? How would you define the elements of country style decorating? Is this a style that appeals to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment