Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Subbing


One of the recent volunteers to work in Grace Village library doing shelving sings with me in the choir. After practice on the 4th, she told me about the travails of one of the other volunteers. That lady worked with me previously and had offered to do the "cataloging" when I retired. She was busy getting her mother to move into an assisted-living apartment; on February 2nd her mother seriously injured her leg which required surgery on the 3rd and a hospital stay.

A week or so after I stepped down from working in the library, I noticed that someone had left 3 large sets of Guidepost fiction. There were other donations accumulating as well. With Christmas travel and activities, the cataloger was unable to work much in the library.

On February 4th I went with my fellow choir member to see what materials were sitting on the bookcart awaiting processing. The cart was full, with one of the shelves double rowed. I told the new librarian I would come catalog some of those on Friday the 7th. I didn't quite finish one of the Guidepost sets; so I spent about 40 minutes this Tuesday completing that cataloging. Now the cart has about 20 books, only the other 2 Guidepost sets, that need processing. They take up one row of the 3-row bookcart. A big improvement. I learned that afternoon that the injured mother who had been in rehab for 4-5 days, was admitted to the hospital again.

I don't mind helping out in a situation like this if I have time to spend in the library. It took the stress off of the cataloger so she could focus on her mother. But I must say I don't miss working in the library on a regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment