Saturday, May 16, 2015

Adventures in Knitting

Wednesday evening I downloaded a small free e-book about knitting stitches onto my ipad. It had several examples and instructions for lace stitches which interest me. Friday morning I went to a neighborhood garage sale event south of where I live. Mostly baby and kid clothes and toys, but at one house there were about a dozen plastic bins of odds and ends of yarn, $5 per bin. I figured the bin itself was worth a few dollars; so for about $3 I had all kinds of yarn to experiment with.

Though I mostly bought these to see how different kinds of yarn work up on different sized needles, I may make a few scrap projects from them. The internet has all kinds of suggestions for using up left-over yarn, some with patterns even. I don’t see myself yarn bombing, but some ideas are quite good.

My main problem in making something is that I have no information about the yarns re weight, composition, brand. I found a chart which should help me decipher the weight by knitting up a swatch. I’m going to have to buy some small needles though as it is obvious some of this yarn is smaller than the worsted and chunky I worked with previously.

Here are some of the scrap projects I might try:

A scrubbie/tribble made from my leftover cotton yarn.

 Individual teabag totes

 I am very busy the next two weeks. I have time to go to the public library and look at books with patterns and to search the internet some more. Do you knit? What can you tell me about these yarns and how to use them?

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment