Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Gulf Beachcombing




One of the reasons I choose a seaside place for our winter get-away is that I like to spend time beachcombing. I wasn’t able to do quite as much as I desired because the weather became inhospitable with a brisk cold wind the last 3 or 4 days of our stay. I knew from some internet discussions that Gulf Shores is not considered a very good place for finding shells. Perdido Key was often mentioned as a better alternative. I did have better success at Amelia Island last year. 

I found a lot of small sand dollars at Perdido Key and a razor clam shell. Most of my finds I pick up because they have texture, color, or shapes that interest me. Very few are intact. I picked up quite a few oysters and kitten paws this year. The small whelk pieces appear to be pear whelk. At Amelia Island last year I only found two tellin with the radiating rays of color. One of the most plenteous shells at the beach a few blocks from our cottage were tellin! Sometimes I am not sure the difference between coquina and tellin. The coquina have circles of color I guess while the tellin have rays of color? They are very similar in shape and size. The pictorial index I used last year seems to call something different a tellin and the photo of coquina includes both circle and rayed color. Other internet sources make a distinction.

The golden and cream shell piece comes from a pear whelk. I found 2 pieces of Scotch Bonnet but one was quite discolored. A small bit of sea urchin is new to my collection.

I don’t really know what I will do with these large oyster shells. I brought home a small piece of driftwood as well. When I set up my display again, I will decide whether these will work; if not, I will discard them. Always easier to discard than to wish one had picked up an item left behind on the beach.

 My husband is talking of going to Arizona next winter instead of a beach. I’ll have to find a different way to pass time.

No comments:

Post a Comment