Sunday, March 25, 2012

Another Collection Jar

Some of us are late bloomers when it comes to really understanding our tastes and what makes us happy. I only truly identified my decorating preferences in the past 10 years. Oh, I knew there were things I disliked, but really what were the elements that I loved and wanted to incorporate into my home? That wasn’t clear to me.
I had heard the advice to tear out magazine pictures, gather paint chips, collect fabric swatches, etc. to show to an interior decorator. I just hadn’t admitted that I was the decorator, intentional or not. The housekeeper, the purchaser of goods, but a decorator? My expenditures were focused on affordability, comfort, ease of care and meeting needs, not so much on beautifying or personal expression.
That changed one spring when my husband went off with his woodworking buddies on their annual retreat to a south Texas ranch, and having unscheduled time I went shopping for something to hang on the walls. We are talking places like Hobby Lobby, not fine art galleries. I wasn’t likely to let go of the sway of frugality after being under its rule most of my life, but I felt a longing to change my rather non-descript home into a reflection of me. Other than liking the color blue, not being drawn to sleek and modern furniture and abstract images, and an inkling that what was labeled “country” had appeal, I hadn’t really thought about style. I did heed the advice to buy what you love and love at first sight it was. A gorgeous framed print of irises.
The next major breakthrough came about 4 years ago. Following the suggestion of Sarah Ban Breathnach in her Simple Abundance book, I decided it was time to create  some coherence to my random purchases. What did my decorative items have in common? What should I keep in mind when making future purchases?  This time I seriously took up the suggestion to gather samples. I started at the paint departments of home improvement and hardware stores like Lowe's or Ace Hardware picking out chips but also the “post cards” and brochures with colors and styles in room settings. These cost nothing.  After seeing a $50 book about blue and white decorating in a Barnes and Noble bookstore, I decided to see if there were similar older books for sale on the internet. Yes! I snipped apart the $3 but perfectly-focused book , critically looking at what elements besides color I liked. Then on to other inexpensive books and magazines from Half Price Books or library sales.
Now I have several folders of printed images to peruse. Not only have I discovered what I love so I can be watchful when shopping, but I have found a source of happiness. If I feel bored or a little down after a hard day, I pull out my “collection jar” of  pictures and drink in the elements of my personal taste. I know who I am as a decorator.
And in the spirit of Simple Abundance,  I ask God to make me aware of the opportunities He presents to flesh out those decorating tastes in an affordable way. He fills up my bowl of expectation in surprising ways at times. He understands me and now I understand myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment